Last night, I listened to Evolution with Charmaine where the subject was “living that thrifting lifestyle.” Not only did I want to support my fellow thrifting diva but I was intrigued to find out what really goes down on a conference call about thrifting? I must say I was highly disappointed. Let me be clear. I think a thrift conference call is a great idea but I think it was poorly executed. The conference call began promptly at 8 p.m. The first fifteen minutes of the call you had to listen to a
sermon speech about motivational speaking, healing, obtaining financial freedom …no bueno! I honestly thought I dialed into the wrong number. The thrifting expert, began at 8:15 p.m. For the next 45 minutes, I had to endure random ramblings while only 5 thrift questions were answered. I have listed the questions below…
1. How did you get into thrifting? My grandma used to thrift and she taught me the ropes.
2. What are the stigmas of thrifting? Once upon a time, people were not transparent about shopping at a thrift store but now I feel like the shame has been lifted. People are bragging/posting about how much they saved.
3. How does your husband feel about his wife thrifting? My husband knows I am definitely a discount shopper. Thrifting has made some fashion dreams come true for me. I am able to afford Christian Dior, Louis Vuitton and a lot of other high end designers.
4. What do you do with the money you save from thrifting? My husband and I travel a lot. The money we save from thrifting allows us to travel more frequently.
5. What is the best place for a newbie thrifter to start? I would suggest a newbie start at a consignment store. The consignment store has your high end designers and displays the trends happening right now.
Sounds great, right? The conference call had the potential to be great but I have condensed forty-five minutes into 5 questions. If I was a newbie thrifter I can’t say I would have learned much from this call. As stated, this idea has the potential to reach the masses but it missed the mark for me…😔